Song of the day – 553: Gavlyn
As recommended for me by those web bots at YouTube. I am that predictable. Shit, yes.
What can I tell you? From 2009. Now you know as much as me. Seems like she’s having herself a decent time, and there’s something about her vaguely deprecating flow that’s vaguely irresistible. This next one is more current: a new reading of an old favourite that sits fine with me. She’s in the zone; chilled and she’s just playin’ wit’ ya. Fuckin’ wit’ ya mind. Moves her hands and arms around like the PhD drama student in my corridor, doing practice-led research. This ain’t research, though: this is livin’ it. Love the Pinky and Perky distortion on the original vocal; love the kept sound of the slap stand-up bass.
She’s got the old school flow and shit.
Of course I love the Jessica Rabbit version, but c’mon… but let’s give La Lee some respect.
Let’s do some 10-second research.
- Gavlyn is a 19 year old female rapper who has been rapping seriously since 1996
- Gavlyn says she’s inspired by old school 70s funk and spoken word
- Gavlyn is an up and coming female artist with an old school type flow
- Anyone heard of Gavlyn? (Ultra Super Crazy Nice Female Rapper)
- GavlynAndShit I’m from L.A. i’m a part of
OrganizedThreat, BlackRoses, BrokenComplex and shout out to my DjDubplates http://facebook.com/GAVLYNMUSIC
It ain’t rocket science, music writing. Although it might as well be, if this blog entry is anything to go by.