a Collapse Board parlour game for Sunday afternoons
OK. This is like one of these ‘draw the line’ games you get in children’s books. The idea is, I list 10 comments made on Facebook about various recent posts on Collapse Board, then list the 10 relevant posts, and you match up the comment with the post. Answers will follow in a few days time.
Ready? Let’s go!
1. “I love your strategy of ‘If 25 people do not buy (insert album title) by (insert band) I will shut Collapse Board down’ It’s a fucking great strategy” – Dylan Singh
2. “The disparity just gets to me sometimes” – Everett True
3. “My favourite bit is the paragraph entitled: It’s nearly as good as Bat For Lashes. ‘Safety in numbers, and all that'” – Julie Lenten
4. “‘There is a physical relation between physical things. But it is different with commodities. …. There it is a definite social relation between men, that assumes … the fantastic form of a relation between things. In [the religious] world the productions of the human brain appear as independent beings endowed with life, and entering into relation both with one another and the human race. So it is in the world of commodities with the products of men’s hands. This I call the Fetishism which attaches itself to the products of labour, so soon as they are produced as commodities, and which is therefore inseparable from the production of commodities. This Fetishism of commodities has its origin … in the peculiar social character of the labour that produces them.’ – Karl Marx, Capital Vol. 1, chapter 1 section” – Simon Morgan
5. “I am going to buy it… On Monday!” – Jonathan Dreitzler
6. “From the comments: ‘You are a terrible reviewer. You sound like you are in high school and getting back at this album for not going to prom with you. How can you appreciate anything with such an embittered spirit? Grow up, nerd.'” – Scott Creney
7. “This is reminding me that I really really want to write something massive about generic discourses of romance, particularly doo-wop, girl group and torch song” – White Hotel
8. “There was one interview in particular … the only UK interview she agreed to do for The Amps’ first album … where I dropped the recorder on the way back to my room and busted the tape. The poor PR nearly had kittens. I’m not sure she ever forgave me. We re-did the interview the following week: Kim had only agreed to do it in the first place because it was me” – Everett True
9. “Ok I get it now ET. This is your comic turn, this whole Wallace thing. Like a spoof on music writing. Brilliant and addictive. Where to next you wag?” – Kevin Pearce
10. “Can’t quite appreciate her music like I used to after she threatened to beat me with a baseball bat for making fun of the Olympia Co-Op” – Kelly McClure
A. preparing for a phone interview with Charlotte Gainsbourg
B. Song of the day – 416: Kimya Dawson
C. English Blues – The Untold History of the Chunka-Chunka Song (see featured image)
D. Everything Is Plastic – The Corrupting Ideal of Authenticity In Music
E. The Question of Authenticity and Lana Del Rey
F. Is Collapse Board worth saving?
G. some observations upon hearing the new Kate Bush album 50 Words For Snow
H. The Collapse Board interview – Maria And The Gay
I. Which side of the line do you fall on? The new Cranberries song vs The Bastards Of Fate
J. Washed Out – Within And Without (Sub Pop)