10 Songs for Halloween
Words: Everett True
Spooky papercut: Jad Fair
1. The Cramps – Human Fly
(From YouTube) “Did he drink milk out of a shoe? is that what i just saw?…it was fucking perfect”
2. Sonic Youth – I’m Insane
Love starved backwood teaser farm girl hot eyed bride/Stone cold blonde a quivering menace atomic wallop wholesale murder
3. Boo Frog – Ghost Town
Boo Frog sent Isaac this song for Halloween. His verdict? “Not so bad.”
4. Beat Happening – Gravedigger Blues
No one’s scarier than Calvin Johnson when he chooses to be.
5. David and Jad Fair – Ghost Shout
From Halloween Songs on Thick Syrup Records
6. Siouxsie & The Banshees – Mother/Oh Mein Papa
This one’s always stuck with me.
7. Kate Bush – Wuthering Heights
‘Hammer Horror’ superficially seems more appropriate – but this is way spookier. And better.
8. Bauhaus – Bela Lugosi’s Dead
There’s a version with a video. Be warned. That version sucks. “Bella the Goose is dead.”
9. Killdozer – Hamburger Martyr
It’s my list. I’ll put in what the hell I want. Don’t listen to this on a weak stomach.
10. Monte Cazazza – Mary Bell
Fuck. I’m going to have nightmares tonight. (Check the back story to this.)